It was no secret for anyone that Vaucher had been working on an extra-thin calibre for its customers. Now, Piaget, which this year celebrates the fiftieth anniversary of its legendary 12P movement, made a show of its 1200P at the 2010 Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie. A worthy successor to this exceptional calibre, at 2.35mm high the 1200P is the thinnest self-winding movement in the world… and knowing how touchy watchmakers can be about their DNA, these things are not to be taken lightly. So when Vaucher Manufacture recently unveiled its VMF 5300 at 2.6mm high (2.95 mm with calendar), this quarter of a millimetre whisker came as welcome news for the “experts” whom Piaget has tasked with promoting the 1200P around the world. Perish the thought that a seven-year-old youngster should rival an honourable company, established in 1874!
Credit, then, where credit is due… which by no means takes away from the undeniable qualities of the Calibre VMF 5300. “We chose to develop a movement that would be both robust and refined. This calibre, which measures 2.6mm high with a 42-hour power reserve, has a significant timing capacity,” Florian Serex, managing director, explained. Vaucher Manufacture “is one of those that took the right decision at the right time when it vertically integrated the Manufactures of the Sandoz Family Foundation. VMF can guarantee its customers a completely independent supply of components, including the most strategic parts.” Reassuring words in today’s climate, and an exceptional movement too.
Vaucher Manufacture Fleurier calibres
- VMF 3000 self-winding movement, 11½’’’ x 10½’’’ with two series-coupled barrels
- VMF 4000 self-winding movement, 11½’’’ with two series-coupled barrels
- VMF 5300 self-winding movement, 12½’’’ extra-thin, 2.6mm high
- VMF 6000 hand-wound movement, 13’’’ x 10½’’’ with two series-coupled barrels, tonneau-shape, 8-day power reserve
- VMF 5000 additional module, retrograde perpetual calendar, 12’’’
- VMF 5002 additional module, retrograde annual calendar, 12’’’
- VMF 5005 additional module, retrograde date and moon phases, 12’’’