The new timepiece from Glashütte Original is an example of pure elegance, technical sophistication and exceptional craftsmanship. This splendid masterpiece is limited to 25 pieces and presented in a rose gold case. The dial is fashioned in solid gold and subsequently silverplated by friction. A railroad chapter ring and rod index appliques lend the timepiece an elegant, classic appearance. The filigree baton-style hands in rose gold contribute to the understated look of the watch as a whole. The eye-catcher is the seconds display, which is positioned at 6 o’clock and bears the inscription” Tourbillon”. The latter serves as a subtle indication that this timepiece reveals its many sophisticated aspects in the course of time – certainly not at first glance. With this model, in fact, the famous Flying Tourbillon is hidden on the reverse of the movement – in keeping with the historic models of Helwig‘s era.
The Flying Tourbillon was developed in Glashütte in 1920 by one of the most eminent of German watchmakers: Alfred Helwig. In contrast to the classic tourbillion anchored on both sides, Helwig’s elegant construction required only a single anchor on the underside, with the result that it appears to be flying within its cage. In an open frame, the balance and escapement revolve steadily around their own axis at precisely 360° per minute. In this way, the tourbillon effectively counters the negative influence of gravity on the rate precision. This timepiece is powered by the finely finished Calibre 54-01 manual winding movement, which features a remarkable running time of 100 hours.