For the second time since 2008, IWC Schaffhausen pays tribute to Swiss boat builder Boesch. The elegant, sporty Portugieser Yacht Club Chronograph Edition “Boesch” (Ref. IW390504) will be available in a limited number. “Boesch motorboats have one thing above all in common with watches from Schaffhausen: they are made with a passion for craftsmanship, and their unmistakable design makes them instantly recognizable,” is how Linus Fuchs, IWC Managing Director Switzerland, describes the partner¬ship with Boesch. With its mahogany-coloured dial, mahogany emblem and, on the inside of the glass back cover, a stylized ship’s propeller, the distinctively elegant sports chronograph makes several references to the craft manu¬factured by the exclusive boatbuilding company in the town of Kilchberg on the shores of Lake Zurich. The rugged strap is made of rubber with an alligator leather inlay that makes it particularly comfortable to wear. Available exclusively in Switzerland, the special edition is limited to 150 watches and can be purchased at official IWC retailers.
The robust IWC-manufactured, 89361-chronograph calibre with flyback function and analogue display of stop times longer than a minute on a subdial makes the Portugieser Yacht Club Chronograph Edition “Boesch”, which is water-resistant to 6 bar, an ideal companion for water sport enthusiasts.
The white stopwatch hand, the flange with its quarter-second scale for measuring short stop times, and the luminescent seconds and hour hands and indices are an indication of the watch’s sporting qualities. The screwin crown, protective shoulders and the chronograph pushbuttons – the latter reminiscent of the bitts found on the deck of ships – underscore the special status of the Yacht Club Chronograph within the watch family. Despite its unusual role, the watch remains a dyed-in-the-wool Portugieser.
With its clearly structured dial and classic railway-track-style chapter ring, simple Arabic numerals, and slender feuille hands, the latest model references central, style-defining elements taken from the original Portugieser unveiled in 1939.